Saturday, February 28, 2009

Piercing the Veil


Had a good time over at the launch of Philippine Speculative Fiction IV. Thanks and congratulations all around. :)

It was good being in a room with other writers again: that hasn't happened since that lunch with Kenneth for the Digest of Philippine Genre Stories Issue 3. I was happy to reacquaint myself with a few familiar faces, writers I respect and admire.

Speaking of which, it was the first time I got to see/meet many of the authors in the local spec fic field, including many of the famous Litcritters. Dean Alfar did a great job as ringmaster. Seeing him in person, he reminded me of Chow Yun Fat for some reason (my wife tells me it's because of his eyes. I think it was a general aura of zen :P)

I also met Vin Simbulan at last, the editor for the "A Time For Dragons" anthology coming out in at the end of March, which will hold what is arguably my first official short story (well, second really - I sent two for that particular anthology). He also talked a bit about the launch on March 29.

He also mentioned a parade. I thought he was kidding. Apparently not. @_@

Philippine Genre Stories editor Kenneth Yu was also there, and did me a huge positive by mentioning my digital publishing ambitions before an audience which consisted of, well, the distilled essence of Filipino Spec Fic writing talent. Much gratitude for that sir Kenneth :)

All in all, me and my wife had a great deal of fun. Congratulations again to all the authors, and thanks to those who signed my copy! (And for those of you who didn't bring pens *looks at Charles* - remember, you're celebrities now ;) )

2 comments:

Charles said...

You're not the only one to mistake Dean for Chow Yun Fat...

Nikki said...

"General aura of zen", haha!

Thanks for joining us at the launch, sugar.